Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Immersed in Red Lake

Hi Geneva Family from Dan!  Today we all got to experience Red Lake in every sense of the word.  Though we are on separate work teams, we all ended up working together today.  After a morning orientation from Jenna, we set off to work at kids club.  When I was here in 2005, kids club was in the elementary school,and the Youth Works staff had the entire building at their disposal.  This year, the elementary school said "no" to their building request.  As usual, the YW staff had to adapt on the fly.  On the reservation, there is an organization called "Boys and girls club".  This is a non-religious organization that works with children from ages 4-13(ish).  When YW asked them the unthinkable...."hey,would you let us come into your club, bring dozens of teens and their adult leaders, and run an 8 week program teaching who Jesus Christ is to the kids on the reservation?" .....they said "yes!"  Praise God for his mysterious ways!  So the entire Geneva team spent the day teaching scripture "then Jesus replied, 'I am the bread do life, He who comes tome will not go hungry, and he who believes in me will never thirst".  And we played games, and we did art projects, what a day!  After the club ended, we had to drive some of the kids home, which in itself was a trip! These kids wanted to milk every minute of  time with our kids, and purposely told us the wrong turns in order to prolong the ride home! They are precious children,though many of them have seen and experienced things no child should.  I was shocked and near tears when I dropped off Carl and his little sister to a trailer that had a sinking foundation, broken and boarded windows, no grass, mud everywhere, and it was worse inside.  I was once again reminded of how blessed we are,and how far we have left to go to get our world back to the order in which God intended it.  After a physically and emotionally draining day, it felt awesome to go swimming in beautiful Red Lake!  We drove to the beach and had about an hour to relax and swim.  I decided to swim out and down the lakeshore , and as I swam, I looked up and saw an eagle flying out over the water.  I had to stop swimming and just watch it fly.  It was so beautiful.  When I returned, I told the group what I had seen, and asked them to guess what bible verse I thought of when I saw the eagle flying.  It didn't take long for Jessica to say "Isaiah 40!"  Our group never ceases to amaze and bless me!  Thanks for all your prayers, we feel the power of your love here every day.  One more day with these wonderful children, and we will be homeward bound!   Peace and love,  Dan.

2 comments:

  1. We miss you guys and can't wait to catch up with you on Friday and hear even more about God working in Red Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope and suffering, beauty and pain all mixed together in a haunting, holy way. Your experience reminded me of our scripture from this past Sunday where Paul speaks of "all creating groaning in hope." You've heard and experienced those groans but also know of the hope. May God continue to bless you all as you share community with the brothers and sisters in Red Lake.

    ReplyDelete